These are things that affect improves developer productivity significantly:
- A Fast Computer
- Bigger Display
- Multiple Monitors
- You can preview the application on one screen and keep the IDE or DB open on the next.
- A Good IDE
- Plugins to automate things
- A modern programming language
- Typing without looking at the keyboard
- Initially: Use GUI tools instead of command
- Later: Skip both GUI and Manual Command Line: Creating tiny scripts (.bat/.sh) to automate repeated actions.
- Understanding the requirement properly.
- Prototyping the User Interface to avoid confusion. Paper prototyping is enough for many cases.
- Thinking and having the thoughts organized before writing the code instead of thinking while coding.
- Knowing if the algorithm needed is common that an open-source solution is readily available.
- Googling the right thing while debugging.
- Not over-engineering. Example: Don’t use microservices if your application isn’t big. 1
- Keeping code clean
- Single tasking
- Automated tests and TDD
draft screenshot this: https://youtu.be/9-cyC6O81Bk?t=1984