This is collections of posts/ideas I have come across over the years.
Writing is thinking
- Writing is learning how to think. Writing is a reflection of your thoughts.
- The best thing about writing on a computer is that you can edit things later which is the same as editing your thoughts
- The best things about writing by hand is no distraction. no pressure. clean slate. clear thinking.
- Combine both
To write better, you don’t have to become a “writer”
Grammar is very small part of writing. The most important thing is having something useful to say.
The way to have something interesting to say is to go experience the world.
Narate from our own experience. This keeps things unique and interesting.
Improve your writing in every opportunity you get
Prefer using active voice instead of passive to keep your writing more exciting.
Use less words
If it can be said in a blogpost, don’t write a book. If it can be said in a tweet, don’t write a blog post.
One big idea per post
Delete sentences. Remove all the useless words.
Forget attributions. It makes you slow. Plus you want it to be your own thoughts. So make those thoughts your own. Don’t care about attributions.
Writing helps you to
Form your thoughts better
Document and share your progress
The best time to write is when inspiration strikes. Once the inspiration is lost, it’s hard to write.
Types of Writing
There are different types of writing:
- Exploratory Writing: When you are exploring something and you don’t know what that is well.
- Persuasive Writing: When you are trying to persuade someone of your argument
- Experiential Writing: Describing an experience you have had.
- Fact Entry: Kind of like quantified life. a life log. ***
Question Driven Writing is one of the ways but it isn’t the only way. The main thing is to let your ideas flow. Once it flows and is on paper, you can organize it in different ways.
Writing in a memorable way
You want to write in a way that is easier to remember for everyone.
Ideas have to be simple enough to spread and be executed properly.
Simple Rememberable title. Simple Rememberable subtitles. Simple Remembrance images.
Anyone should be able to understand the gist just glancing through the article.
Also remember: Most things in life are simple. Not complicated.
Having clear thoughts make you free
When I have my thought clear, then I feel free.
I feel free when,
- I have my thoughts well articulated.
- I have progressed on the thing that stresses me. I moved forward despite feeling the stress and hopefully dealt with it calmly.
- I make progress on my goals. And hopefully those goals have balls.